Fighting With Pride
Documentary series, telling the stories of the personnel who epitomise the ban on LGBT+ people serving in the British Armed Forces.
10x 10mins, and 1x 60mins, by John Dash Media, first aired 6th September 2021
The series tells ten powerful and often harrowing stories of veterans who were thrown out of the military because of their sexuality or gender identity, before the ban on LGBT+ personnel was lifted 21 years ago.
We will hear moving narratives from service personnel and commanders, who did extraordinary things, each a story of loyalty and courage. They include a holder of the Military Cross, a dismissed airman later Lord Mayor of Manchester, and a former First Sea Lord who prevented investigations.
A finale programme brings to life this difficult past, ahead of announcements about reparations later in 2021.
The project is a partnership with the charity of the same name, which was formed in 2021 to represent the Armed Forces community effected by the ban.
The series will be broadcast by:
- Gaydio, around the UK
- Care Radio, around the UK
- K107FM in Kirkcaldy
- Black Country Radio in Stourbridge
- East Coast FM in East Lothian
- Koast Radio 106.6FM in North East England
- Radio Tyneside in Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead
- Pride Radio in Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead
- Phoenix Radio 96.7 in Halifax
- Chelmer Radio in Chelmsford
- Bay Trust Radio in Lancashire and Cumbria
- Fuse FM in Ballymoney
- Northerallerton Radio
- Bristol Community Radio
- Canalside Radio in Cheshire
- Steel FM in Scunthorpe
- Vixen 101 in East Yorkshire
- Shoreline FM in South Kent
- Future Radio in Norwich
- Wave Community Radio in Weston-super-Mare
- Bro Radio in the Vale of Glamorgan
- Marlow FM
- TMCR in South Yorkshire
- Radio Reverb in Brighton
- Bradley Stoke Radio in Bristol
- Tameside Radio in Ashton-under-Lyne